Bannock Development Corporation maintains a close working relationship with city officials in each of our Partner Communities to in order to be included in the unique opportunities these smaller towns present for new economic activity.
Our region is a goldmine for local recreation and a rural lifestyle. Many regional residents commute to Pocatello for employment, expanding the workforce available to Pocatello businesses.
Settled in the late 1860's by Mormon pioneers, Downey has a strong agricultural heritage, and even today its vitality depends heavily on ranching, farming, and other agri-businesses. Local events and attractions include the annual South Bannock County fair, an exciting amateur rodeo and Downata Hot Springs, a natural hot springs water park and pool, with campgrounds and other amenities nearby. Real estate in Downey is affordably priced, offering an alternative to residents of Southeastern Idaho who seek a rural, hometown atmosphere.
- Population: 558 people
- Location: 41 miles south of Pocatello
- Education: Downey Elementary School; Marsh Valley Middle School and Marsh Valley High School(both located 11 miles north of Downey in Arimo)
Nestled in the picturesque Portneuf Gap valley, residents of Inkom enjoy spectacular four-season vistas showcasing nearby Pebble Creek Ski.
- Population: 668 people
- Location: 11 miles southeast of Pocatello
- Education: Inkom Elementary; Marsh Valley Middle School and Marsh Valley High School (both located 18 miles south of Inkom in Arimo)
Lava Hot Springs
A bustling resort town, many of Lava Hot Springs' residents commute to work in Pocatello. The hills and mountains surrounding Lava Hot Springs also offer real estate opportunities for retirement homes and summer retreats, making the small community a perfect weekend getaway and recreation location. The pleasant mountain setting transforms from lush green summers to vibrant fall foliage to trimmed with snow in winter.
The hot pools are a popular attraction, along with the city's Olympic Swimming Complex and the area's opportunities for biking, hiking, dining, camping, and lodging in Lava Hot Spring's quaint hotels and inns.
- Population: 468 people
- Location: 35 miles southeast of Pocatello; 150 miles north of Salt Lake City, Utah
- Education: Lava Elementary School; Marsh Valley Middle School and Marsh Valley High School (both located 20 miles south of Lava in Arimo)